Mesa, AZ dentist answers questions about metal poisoning therapy

Metal poisoning therapy from Dr. Edward Fritz, New Health Dental

Have you ever heard of the term amalgam chelation? Chances are, you haven’t. In simple terms, chelation therapy is a way to remove harmful metals from the body. It is performed by injecting a chelating agent into the body where it will then bind to the metals in the blood and eventually be flushed out through urine.
In dentistry, we use chelation therapy to treat metal poisoning from the mercury found in amalgam fillings. Previously, silver amalgam fillings were standard practice in dentistry. They were popular because they were strong, long lasting, and affordable. Today, we understand the harmful effects mercury can have on the body. At New Health Dental, we only use biocompatible, tooth colored fillings for patients’ safety.
Because many of our patients have questions about metal poisoning and chelation therapy, we’ve compiled some answers.

What effect does mercury have on the body?

The mercury from amalgam fillings can have effects on the nervous, digestive, and immune systems. Mercury poisoning can be detrimental to the heart, kidneys, brain, and lungs.

What are the signs of metal (mercury) poisoning?

The most common symptoms and signs are tremors, weakness, muscle atrophy, headaches, changes in nerve responses, and twitching.

How do I know if I need chelation therapy?

After the safe removal of your amalgam fillings, Dr. Fritz can refer you to Dr. Tallman, a neuropath he partners with, for testing. Dr. Tallman can determine if you have a build-up of toxins in the body and if you need chelation therapy to remove the metals.
At New Health Dental, we believe wellness is a journey and are committed to helping you achieve health no matter where you are on that path. If you are considering having your amalgam fillings removed, contact us today at to learn more about chelation therapy.
Back to Chelation Therapy Home Page