Choosing the right dentist in Mesa, AZ for safe removal of mercury
Have you been researching dentists for the safe removal and replacement of your old amalgam fillings? If so, you are probably considering mercury free dentists in the Mesa, AZ area. Many people are unaware of the risks associated with amalgam removal and the need for strict adherence to safety protocols. A mercury safe dentist like Dr. Fritz follows guidelines set by the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology. He is a trusted biocompatible dentist in the Mesa, AZ area.
The importance of “mercury safe”
The traditional removal method for a dental filling is simple. It is drilled out and replaced with a new one. The problem is that when the amalgam is heated, which occurs during drilling, it releases toxic mercury vapors.
Risks associated with traditional removal of an amalgam filling include:
- Exposing patient and staff to inhalation of mercury vapor and dust.
- Particles of mercury adhering to gum tissue of patient.
- Mercury bits being swallowed by the patient.
- Toxic mercury particles are released into public treatment plants from wastewater.
- Mercury vapor in the air.
The mercury-safe method of removal
Dr. Fritz takes extra precautions to ensure patients, the dental team, and the environment are safe from mercury exposure. These precautions include:
- Removal of the filling in large chunks.
- An amalgam separator.
- Proper air filtration and ventilation.
- Use of a rubber dam.
- Alternative air source for the patient.
- Protective covering for patient and staff.
- Proper disposal of waste.
We understand that there are many reasons a patient may seek to have old amalgam fillings replaced. At New Health Dental in Mesa, AZ, our dentist is here to answer your questions about the safe removal of mercury. He will replace your old filling with a beautiful, biocompatible alternative.
To learn more about removal protocols, or to schedule a consultation, call (877) 943-3703.